Is the Internet ubiquitous?

Would I be writing this article if it took me few seconds extra to upload this article? Would you be reading this article if it took you some a few seconds extra to load this article?

The answer is mostly going to be “NO”. We are very accustomed to high speed internet. However in this era, the true power and potential of technology can be realized only if internet is ubiquitous. Technology as an equalizing force can be achieved down the line can be achieved only of there is widespread proliferation of internet.

As per recent statistics, only 3 billion of the worldwide 7.2 billion world population has access to internet. [1] Well, less than just 50% of the world population has access to internet. When we dwell deep behind this number and look at the number of users by country & number of users by region, the disparity and the problem is palpable.

Nearly 75% of all internet users in the world, live in the top 20 countries. The remaining 25% is distributed among the remaining 178 countries, each representing less than 1% of total users.[1] There are countries such as Eritrea, Myanmar, Ethiopia, Ghana where less than 2% of the population has access to internet. This in essence means that less than 2% of this population can use Google search, Facebook or any of these applications that most of us take for granted.

Here is link to the list of countries and the % of population in each of these countries that has access to internet. Internet Proliferation.[2]

Featured image

The solutions for this problem needs to be profound and scalable to proliferate internet in these countries.

  1. How can we as individuals help improve this situation?
  2. How can organizations like Google, Facebook, Amazon etc. help improve this situation?
  3. How can governments around the globe and other agencies help improve this situation?

Even India which has a huge proliferation of tech companies faces this problem: Only 20% of the population has access to internet. It’s time we think about this problem and a way to solve this.

My research and efforts are going to be geared towards this problem. I look forward to hearing from you guys about my article and if you guys can think of any solution to this problem.

Lets join force to make technology an equalizer for the world.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s